1 Pot Meals – huge fan, can’t say enough about them. There’s nothing more pleasing than getting all of your ‘nutritional requirements,’ or simply staving off hunger with something that fits in one pot. Not that I’m discriminating against say 3 pot meals but for the added bonus of reheating everything the next day in just 1 pot—need I say more?!
In search of that secret ingredient that meets all nutritional requirements, or at least contributes to your protein, folate, dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamin B1 intake, I turn to the all mighty lentil. At first glance, a bag of dried red lentils may not seem up for the job but they are, I promise you that this 1 pot wonder won’t turn into one of those mad dashes to Subway an hour later because dinner didn’t quite cut it type scenarios. I’m also not suggesting that this 1 pot meal will only consist of boiled lentils; we can be a bit more imaginative than that.
This mighty red protein-packed lentil will have you feel covered health-wise – perhaps not totally but it’ll make you feel a little less guilty for that sweet snack (donut in my case) you may have had earlier. So throw in an onion, stewed tomatoes, and a to-die-for combination of curry spices, you have it made. It’ll last in your fridge for a few days, easy item to take to work, goes great with a bit of bread, rice, or some naan.
- Take a large saucepan and heat it to medium.
- Throw in 2 tbsp. vegetable oil and chopped onion, medium
- Cook for a few minutes until the onion is soft
- Add 2 tbsp. of curry paste (see recipe below for making your own)
- Add 1 cup of rinsed red lentils along with 3 cups of water
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and allow to cook for 30 min
- Dice 3 medium tomatoes and add to lentils after they’ve cooked
- Add some sliced almonds, grab some naan and enjoy!
Combine the following-
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-inch piece fresh root ginger
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato puree
- 2 green chilies
- 3 tbsp. coconut